Spinach LasagneSubmitted by: SATYAGRAHA
Introductionfrom "Vegetarian Bible: Fresh from the Garden", a good freezing recipe from "Vegetarian Bible: Fresh from the Garden", a good freezing recipe
1/2 cup butter, plus extra for greasing (I use margarine)
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
4 oz. shallots
8 oz mushrooms
1 lb spinach, cooked, drained, and finely chopped (can use frozen)
2 cups grated cheddar cheese*
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp basil
1/2 cup flour
2 1/2 cup hot milk
2/3 cup grated mild hard cheese*
8 sheets precooked lasagne
salt and pepper
*a 3 cup bag of shredded cheddar cheese works, but you could change and mix to your liking
2) Melt 4 Tbsp of the butter in a skillet. Add the garlic, shallots, and mushrooms and saute over low heat, stirring frequently, for 3 minutes. Stir in the spinach, cheddar cheese, nutmeg, and basil. Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
3) Melt the remaining butter in another skillet over low heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Gradually stir in the hot milk, whisking constantly until smooth. Stir in 1/4 cup of the cheese and season to taste with salt and pepper (you may have to add more cheese and flour to thicken).
4) Spread half of the mushroom and spinach mixture over the bottom of the prepared dish. Cover with a layer of half the lasagne sheets and then with half of the cheese sauce.
5) Repeat the layering process, then sprinkle over the remaining cheese.
6) Bake in a preheated oven, 400F, for about 30 minutes or until the topping is golden brown and bubbling. Serve hot straight from the dish.
Notes: This dish takes a little bit of effort, but it's delicious and freezes well wrapped in saran wrap then foil. Great for lunches.
Number of Servings: 8
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user SATYAGRAHA.