Tabouleh (Lebanese salad)Submitted by: LENABISTANY
3/4 Cup Bulgur wheat (fine)
2 large bunches of parsley (approx. 1 qt. when finely chopped)
1 Cup of finely chopped fresh mint or
1/4 to 1/3 Cup of dried mint
1/2 bunch of green onions, with green eds, finely chopped
2-3 tsp Salt
Pepper to taste
1/8 tsp Cinnamon
1 small dried onion, finely chopped
1 or 2 large tomatoes, finely chopped
1/2 Cup olive oil
1/2 to 2/3 Cup fresh lemon juice
· Place in large mixing bowl.
· First finely chop the parsley, then mint, then green onions and the tomatoes.
· Place vegetables in layers on top of the wheat in the order given, leaving diced tomatoes on one-half of the top layer.
· Add seasonings to the dried onions and mix thoroughly with fingers, then add to the other half of the top layer.
· Add lemon juice and toss with spoon and fork.
· Just before serving, add oil and toss thoroughly.
This is eaten by hand by using very tender grape leaves, Romaine lettuce, or head lettuce to pick up tabouleh in bite-size servings.
Makes 8 1-Cup Servings
NOTE: Tabouleh may be prepared 1-2 hours ahead of time by omitting tomatoes and oil. Just cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Add tomatoes and oil just before serving.
Number of Servings: 8
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user LENABISTANY.
Rate This Recipe
Member Ratings For This Recipe
Good recipe. I used fresh mint and added fresh basil both from my garden. Also I only used red onions since that is what I had at home. I also like to add a cucumber to give it a refreshing zing. I accidentally made too much Bulgar wheat but set some aside to freeze, mixed all the herbs in first. - 6/12/11