- Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 110.3
- Total Fat: 0.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
- Sodium: 35.3 mg
- Total Carbs: 23.4 g
- Dietary Fiber: 1.8 g
- Protein: 0.8 g
Fresh Harvard Beets and ApplesSubmitted by: PRAIRIEDAWNPAM
IntroductionA terrific addition to your Thanksgiving meal. A terrific addition to your Thanksgiving meal.
* Beets, fresh, 2 cup
* Apples, fresh, .5 cup, quartered or chopped
* Cider Vinegar, .25 cup (or white or raspberry)
* Distilled White Vinegar, .25 cup
* Splenda, 1 cup (or sugar or another sweetener)
* Corn Starch, 1 tbsp stirred into .25 cup cold water
* Ground cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice or apple pie spice, 1 tsp
Combine vinegars and sweetener in pot. Add beets and apples. Cook until desired tenderness. Add spices. Slowly add corn starch in water, stirring constantly until blended. Cook until thickened. Serve warm or as a cold salad.
Experiment by adding cut green beans and/or walnuts (not included in nutrition information).
I make big batches of this for holiday meals and use my food processor to slice the beets and apples. Excellent leftovers!
Low-carb dieters can eliminate the corn starch and serve this more like pickled beets.
Each serving is approximately 1/4 cup prepared.
Number of Servings: 6
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user PRAIRIEDAWNPAM.