BBQ Chicken TikkaSubmitted by: MZHELAINEOUS
IntroductionA delicious deviation from traditional Chicken Tikka Masala, this dish is a great with a salad and steamed rice.
. A delicious deviation from traditional Chicken Tikka Masala, this dish is a great with a salad and steamed rice.
* Chicken breasts – 3 lb(1.5kg), skin on*
* Tikka Spices (From Shan ready spices) – 4 tbsp
* Chili powder – 1 tbsp
* Cumin powder – ½ tbsp
* Garlic - 1 tbsp, crushed or paste
* Ginger – 1 tsp, grated or paste
* Lemon juice – 2 tbsp
* Yogurt – 2/3 cup
* Canola/vegetable oil - 1/4 cup
* 2. Mix in all the ingredients for the marinade and marinate chicken in the mixture for minimum of 2 hours to up to 24 hours, in the refrigerator.
* 3. On the day of the grilling, take the chicken out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature, at least for 1 hour, before cooking. Mix in half a cup of oil, coating all the chicken pieces evenly.
* 4. Grill on a BBQ Grill till they are cooked through, turning every 5/7 min. Save the marinade for basting. If the chicken pieces seems dry then brush a little of the marinade on them, before each turn.**
* 5. Serve hot with a side of garden salad.
* You can use skinless, but the meat of the chicken stays more moist while grilling (you can always remove the skin after cooking).
**Alternatively, to barbecuing, you can also cook them in the oven. In this case, preheat oven to 350°F(180° C), spray a baking tray with olive oil spray. Do not add the 1/2 cup of oil to the chicken. Instead, place the chicken pieces on the tray and spray some more oil over the chicken pieces. Bake for 60 min, turning the pieces every 10 min.
***Once the chicken is cooked through, broil (top grill of the oven) the chicken, 5 min on each side, till the chicken turns crispy. ( If your oven does not have a separate grilling section, then just turn on the top heating coil only of your oven to brown and crisp the chicken.) Pay extra attention while broiling. Since the chicken is already cooked through it will burn very quickly if you leave it alone, even for a while.
Number of Servings: 4
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user HELAINE.