Healthy Date BarsSubmitted by: KRIS10_WHITNEY
IntroductionJust found this great recipe online and wanted to share! Just found this great recipe online and wanted to share!
2 cups chopped and pitted dates
1 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup wheat germ or ground flax seed
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup safflower or other light oil
2. Preheat oven to 350F. In a large bowl, combine oats, flour, wheat germ, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. In a smaller bowl, combine honey and oil. Using a sieve, thoroughly drain the liquid from the cooked dates into the honey-oil mixture, stirring well to combine. In a separate bowl, mash dates until smooth.
4. Combine oat and honey mixtures, stirring to mix thoroughly.
5. Press two-thirds of this dough into a 9 x 9-inch cake pan. Spread mashed date filling over this, then gently and evenly pat remaining crumb mixture on top.
4. Bake 30 - 35 minutes or until lightly browned.
Makes about 24 bars.
Number of Servings: 24
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user KRIS10_WHITNEY.