Bread StuffingSubmitted by: ZEN_GIRL
IntroductionAn amazing and plentiful stuffing made mostly with veggies. Low fat.
An amazing and plentiful stuffing made mostly with veggies. Low fat.
* 1 tablespoon light butter, stick kind
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 2 leeks, cleaned, chopped
* 2 carrots, chopped
* 1 (8 ounce) package white mushrooms, sliced
* 1/4 lb shiitake mushroom, stems removed, caps sliced
* 3 garlic cloves, minced
* 2 tablespoons sage, chopped, fresh (or 2 tsp dried)
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
* 6 cups fat-free seasoned croutons
* 1 Granny Smith Apple Cut into Small cubes
* 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
Melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, leeks and carrots; cook, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are crisp-tender, 4-5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic, sage, salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are golden, 6-7 minutes.
Transfer to a bowl. Add the croutons and broth, stirring just until the stuffing is evenly moistened. Let cool completely. Use to stuff the Stuffed Roast Turkey (recipe posted separately).
Number of Servings: 12
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user WALK_IT_OFF.
Rate This Recipe
Member Ratings For This Recipe
Thia was wonderful. I did not have any mushrooms and only had one leek- but it was still great. I used a 14oz bag of Pepperidge Farms cubed stuffing and also added 1/2 of a can of 98% fat free cream of celery soup for richness and moisture. My family loved it! I am so happy about all of the veggies. - 11/21/09