Barley SoupSubmitted by: LAWOLF2
2 peeled and thinly sliced white onion
1/2 pound lamb, veal, or beef stew meat
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 Cup dried red kidney beans
1/4 cup (garbanzo beans) dried chick-peas
1/4 cup dried split peas
12 cups water
1 cup barley
2 cups fresh or 1/2 cup dried parsley
1 cup fresh or 1/4 cup dried cilantro
1/2 cup chopped fresh dill or 2 T dried dill
4 cups chopped fresh or 1 C frozen spinach
1/4 cup brown rice
1 cup fat free yogurt
1. Brown 2 onions and meat in 1/4 cup of oil in a large pot. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and turmeric. Add the kidney beans, chick-peas, and split peas and saute for a few minutes. Pour in the water, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cover. Simmer for 50 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
2. Add barley. Cover and cook 50 minutes longer, stirring ocasionally.
3. Add parsley, cilantro, dill, spinach, and rice; cover and cook 50 minutes more.
4. Check to see that the meat is tender and beans are done.
5. Stir in the yogurt, and continue stirring constantly for 5 minutes with a wooden spoon to prevent curdling.
*** NOTE: We let the soup cool and set in the refrigerator over night to let the flavors meld. Add the yogurt just before serving.
Optional Garnish not included in nutrition calculation:
2 Tablespoons oil
1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced
5 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
1 Tablespoon dried mint leaves
Pour 2 Tablespoons oil into a small non-stick frying pan and brown the onion and garlic. Add turmeric and remove from heat. Crush dried mint in the palm of your hand and add to the pan. Mix well.
Pour the simmering soup into a tureen. Garnish with mint-and-garlic mixture.
Number of Servings: 6
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user LAWOLF2.