- Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 273.8
- Total Fat: 6.8 g
- Cholesterol: 69.8 mg
- Sodium: 230.4 mg
- Total Carbs: 41.7 g
- Dietary Fiber: 3.0 g
- Protein: 8.9 g
Cornbread Recipe Modified to Fit 10 inch Iron SkilletSubmitted by: LIMASTAR
IntroductionThe title explains it all. We like to cook our cornbread in an iron skillet, so modified the family recipe to fill a 10 inch Iron skillet. The title explains it all. We like to cook our cornbread in an iron skillet, so modified the family recipe to fill a 10 inch Iron skillet.
2.5 Cups Yellow Cornmeal
1.0 Cup All Purpose Flour
1 Tbsp Sugar
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
2.0 Cups Milk at Room Temperature
2 Lg Eggs at Room Temperature
2.0 Tbsps Oil, melted Shortening, melted Unsalted Butter, or Bacon Grease
1 Tbsp Unsalted Butter to grease Iron Skillet
2. Mix dry ingredients together.
3. Beat Eggs and then add milk to beaten eggs.
4. Place Iron Skillet briefly in oven until warm. Remove Iron Skillet from oven and coat with unsalted butter.
5. Add Egg and Milk mixture to dry ingredients.
6. Add Oil.
7. Mix all ingredients together until just blended.
8. Remove Iron Skillet from oven and place mixture in Iron Skillet.
9. Bake in oven for about 20 to 25 minutes.
10. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
I like the texture of cornmeal, so sometimes will increase the cornmeal to 3 cups and decrease the white flour to 0.5 cups. I also use unsalted melted butter instead of shortening or bacon fat. From the recipe you will see that I add no salt because Baking Powder has Sodium. If you really feel the need for Salt, you can add from 0.5 to 1.0 teaspoon of salt.
Number of Servings: 8
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user LIMASTAR.