Chicken PiccataSubmitted by: REBSIOT
IntroductionBreaded Chicken with lemon-wine sauce. Breaded Chicken with lemon-wine sauce.
4 - 5 or 6 oz chicken breast - no skin - no bone
Salt & Pepper
6 tbsp unsalted butter/margarine
2 tbsp Olive Oil (extra light is cheap and fine here)
3 tbsp finely chopped shallots (sub. yellow onion)
3-5 sliced mushrooms (optional)
5 oz of white wine - I like Pinot Grigio
4 oz of fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup white flour
Capers (optional, but adds a lot)
Adapted from Alton Brown's "Turkey Piccata"
1) Pound the 4 pieces of chicken into 1/4" - 1/2" steaks between two moistened pieces of plastic wrap. I find that using a gallon freezer bag works well.
2) Season all 4 cutlets with salt and pepper on front and back.
3) finely chop the shallots/onion to 3 tbsp
1) Heat 4 tbsp butter and Olive oil in large pan to Med High.
2) Dredge seasoned chicken in flour, shake off excess, and place in pan.
3) Brown on both sides 2-3 minutes depending on thickness - I always use a probe thermometer to check for 170 degrees.
4) Remove chicken to serving dish and keep warm
5) lower the heat to medium
6) Add shallots/onions and mushrooms (if you choose) to pan and cook until the onions are translucent.
7) Add wine + lemon juice
8) Reduce by 1/3 over 3-5 minutes, increasing heat if necessary.
9) Roll 2 tbsp butter in flour
10) Add Capers to pan
11) Place rolled butter in pan and stir until the sauce thickens a bit. Should only be 90 seconds or so.
12) Pour sauce over chicken in serving dish.
13) Dress with parsley and a slices of lemons if you want to go crazy.
Number of Servings: 4
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user REBSIOT.