- Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 302.2
- Total Fat: 11.2 g
- Cholesterol: 55.3 mg
- Sodium: 272.0 mg
- Total Carbs: 25.4 g
- Dietary Fiber: 1.1 g
- Protein: 23.0 g
Glazed Roast Turkey with Cranberry StuffingSubmitted by: MOMOFCHANCE
IntroductionAdapted from Betty Crocker.com website (this is lighter version) I used lighter versions of everything Adapted from Betty Crocker.com website (this is lighter version) I used lighter versions of everything
1 cup butter or margarine
3 medium celery stalks (with leaves), chopped (1 1/2 cups)
3/4 cup finely chopped onion
9 cups soft bread cubes (15 slices) or cornbread cubes
1/2 cup dried cranberries or raisins
2 tablespoons chopped fresh or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage leaves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 whole turkey (12 lb), thawed if frozen
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1 can (8 oz) jellied cranberry sauce
1/4 cup apple jelly
1/4 cup light corn syrup
2. Stuff turkey just before roasting. Fill wishbone area with stuffing first. Fasten neck skin to back with skewer. Fold wings across back with tips touching. Fill body cavity lightly. (Do not pack--stuffing will expand while cooking.) Tuck drumsticks under band of skin at tail, or tie together with heavy string, then tie to tail.
3. Place turkey, breast side up, on rack in shallow roasting pan. Brush with 2 tablespoons butter. Insert meat thermometer so tip is in thickest part of inside thigh muscle and does not touch bone. Do not add water.
4. Roast uncovered, following Timetable for approximate total cooking time. Thermometer will read 180ºF when turkey is done, and the drumstick should move easily when lifted or twisted. Roast until juice is no longer pink when center of thigh is cut. Thermometer placed in center of stuffing will read 165ºF when done. If a meat thermometer is not used, begin testing for doneness about 30 minutes before Timetable indicates. (See Timetable for Roasting Poultry for exact times.)
5. In 1-quart saucepan, mix all glaze ingredients. Cook over medium heat about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until melted and smooth. Brush glaze on turkey about 20 minutes before turkey is done.
6. Place a tent of foil loosely over turkey when it begins to turn golden. When two-thirds done, cut band of skin or string holding legs. When turkey is done, place on warm platter and cover with foil to keep warm. Let stand about 15 minutes for easiest carving. To serve, brush again with glaze before carving.
Prep Time: 45 min
Total Time: 5 hours 55 min
Makes: 18 servings (3 oz turkey and 1/2 cup stuffing each)
Number of Servings: 18
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user MOMOFCHANCE.