- Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 196.2
- Total Fat: 3.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0.7 mg
- Sodium: 47.6 mg
- Total Carbs: 33.9 g
- Dietary Fiber: 12.4 g
- Protein: 14.7 g
Creamy lentil & split pea dhalSubmitted by: MEGABOMB
IntroductionFrom taste.com, adapted to use yogurt instead of cream From taste.com, adapted to use yogurt instead of cream
* 160g (3/4 cup) whole green lentils [Spark nutritional content for 2 cups wet lentils]
* 155g (3/4 cup) yellow split peas
* 1 tsp ground turmeric
* 2 large fresh green chillies, halved lengthways
* 1 tbs vegetable oil
* 1 tsp brown mustard seeds
* 1 tsp cumin seeds
* 2 tsp garam masala
* 1 tsp ground coriander
* 125mls (1/2 cup) water
* 80mls (1/3 cup) plain low-fat yogurt
* 1 large ripe tomato, chopped
* Salt & ground black pepper, to taste
* 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander
2. Add the lentils, split peas, turmeric and chillies to a large saucepan of boiling water and boil, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until the lentils and peas are tender. Drain and place in a bowl.
3. Heat the oil in the saucepan over medium heat and cook the mustard seeds and cumin seeds for 30 seconds or until the mustard seeds begin to pop. Add the garam masala and coriander and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds or until aromatic.
4. Stir in the lentils and peas, water, yogurt and tomato. Season well with salt and pepper. Bring almost to the boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, stirring often, for 4 minutes. Be careful not to cause yogurt to separate. Season with salt and pepper if needed.
5. Stir in the coriander and serve immediately.
Number of Servings: 5
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user MEGABOMB.