Asopao de PolloSubmitted by: LOVINGLEEMADE
IntroductionAlso known as Puerto Rican Chicken and Rice soup.
I modified this from the Joy of cooking. My Hubby (who's from PR) absolutely LOVED this when I made it and has asked me to make it again and again...which is a big deal because he's not a soup person. Also known as Puerto Rican Chicken and Rice soup.
I modified this from the Joy of cooking. My Hubby (who's from PR) absolutely LOVED this when I made it and has asked me to make it again and again...which is a big deal because he's not a soup person.
aprox 3 tbsp of Adobo seasoning (Goya brand makes this)
1 whole Chicken cut into serving pieces (aprox. 3 lbs worth of chicken - you can use already cut pieces of you wish)
aprox. 3 tbsp Vegetable oil
1 medium onion - diced
1 medium green bell pepper - diced
1/2 tsp garlic powder
6 cups of water
one - 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes - drained ( I used one with peppers added in)
1/2 a packet of Goya Sazon seasoning
1/2 cup long grained rice
1 cup peas (fresh or canned)
2 tsp Goya Recaito
2. heat oil in a soup pot, over medium-low heat and add the diced onion, pepper, garlic powder and Recaito. Cook, stirring, until tender but not brown (about 5-10 min.)
3. Add the water. Stir in the chicken, tomatoes and SAZON
4. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer partially covered for about 25 mins.
5. After about 25 mins. add the rice and continue to simmer until the chicken and rice are done (about 20mins)
6. Remove the chicken and, if necessary, remove from the bone...then shred (or cut up into bite size pieces) and return the chicken to the soup.
7. Stir in the peas and pimentos/green olives. Simmer gently for another 3 minutes or so until the peas are cooked.
8. Serve and Enjoy!
Makes about 9 servings
Number of Servings: 9
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user LOVINGLEEMADE.