- Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 386.6
- Total Fat: 19.0 g
- Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
- Sodium: 327.4 mg
- Total Carbs: 47.3 g
- Dietary Fiber: 7.8 g
- Protein: 11.2 g
Detox Lunch - Quinoa Salad with Toasted AlmondsSubmitted by: KERRYHF
IntroductionFrom Body+Soul, March 2006 From Body+Soul, March 2006
* 1/4 cup slivered almonds
* 1/2 cup (3 ounces) quinoa
* 4 teaspoons olive oil
* 1 yellow bell pepper, ribs and seeds discarded, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 2 scallions, thinly sliced
* 1/8 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
* 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, plus more for garnish (optional)
* 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
* 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/2-inch thick
* 1 large celery stalk, diced
* 1 lime, halved
2. In a medium saucepan, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium heat. Add yellow pepper, garlic, scallions, and red-pepper flakes; cook until the pepper is crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
3. Stir in quinoa, thyme, 1 cup water, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook 7 minutes. Stir in zucchini, cover, and cook until quinoa is tender but not mushy, 5 to 8 minutes longer. Remove the saucepan from heat.
4. Stir in celery, almonds, and remaining 2 teaspoons oil, season with salt, and fluff with a fork. Cool to room temperature before packing into two containers and refrigerating. When ready to eat, squeeze lime over salad, if desired. Serve with additional lime wedge and thyme, if desired.
Number of Servings: 2
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user KERRYHF.