Vegan Macaroni and CheeseSubmitted by: LIV2RIDE
IntroductionI found this recipe on Recipezaar #208950. I couldn't believe how closely it resembled "real" mac & cheese. I found this recipe on Recipezaar #208950. I couldn't believe how closely it resembled "real" mac & cheese.
2 c macaroni (I used brown rice pasta.)
1/4 c butter substitute
1/4 c flour
1/2 t salt
2 c soymilk (I used almond milk.)
1/4 c nutritional yeast
1/4 c cornstarch
1 T flour
1/2 t salt
1 c water
2 T oil
1/2 t Dijon mustart
1/2 c breadcrumbs
1) Make pasta and drain - the package of brown rice pasta said to cook 7-10 minutes. I only cooked it 5 minutes because it is going into the oven for an additional 30 minutes.
Pot 2: Rue
1) Combnine butter sub, flour, and salt over low heat. RUE!!
2) When bubbling, gradually add the soy drink.
3) Cook and stir until it is thick and begins to bubble.
4) Remove from heat and add the "cheese" from the 3rd pot.
Pot 3: Cheese
1) Mix nutritional yeast, cornstarch, flour and salt in a small saucepan.
2) Add water, oil and mustart.
3) Cook until it thickens and bubbles.
4) Add it to the white sauce from the second pot.
1) Preheat oven to 375
2) Mix cooked pasta with cheese sauce
3) Pour into a greased casserole dish.
4) Top with breadcrubms.
5) Bake for 30 minutes.
Number of Servings: 4
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user LIV2RIDE.