Carmelized Red OnionsSubmitted by: ANNIEMNM
IntroductionGreat, flavorful condiment! Needs an additional 10 minutes "rest" in its storage jar when cooking is done. Great, flavorful condiment! Needs an additional 10 minutes "rest" in its storage jar when cooking is done.
--2-3 large red onions
--1/4 C firmly packed brown sugar
--1 C dry red wine
--3 T balsamic vinegar
--1/8 t each of black ground pepper and salt
2. Combine onions and sugar in heavy, non-stick skillet
3. Cook, uncovered, over medium-high (closer to medium) heat for about 25 minutes or until onions turn golden and start to carmelize.
4. Stir in wine and vinegar. Bring to a boil over heat & reduce to medium low (NOT all the way down to low), cooking for about 15 minutes, stirring frequenly. Most of the liquid will evaporate.
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper, put in glass jar =to rest for 10 minutes, sealing tightly with cap.
6. Can store in refridgerator for up to 3 months.
Number of Servings: 12
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user ANNIEMNM.