- Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 156.4
- Total Fat: 1.6 g
- Cholesterol: 24.4 mg
- Sodium: 170.0 mg
- Total Carbs: 31.9 g
- Dietary Fiber: 3.2 g
- Protein: 4.6 g
Heady Oatmeal Muffins w/ Spelt Flour, Steel Cut Oats and Homemade Apple SauceSubmitted by: KNITWEST
IntroductionThis was inspired by an oatmeal applesauce recipe I saw on here. Followed others suggestions to use spelt and made my own (accidentally) carmelized applesauce (Maple Apple Sauce on here). The steel cut oats make this a crunchier muffin. This recipe is still in progress This was inspired by an oatmeal applesauce recipe I saw on here. Followed others suggestions to use spelt and made my own (accidentally) carmelized applesauce (Maple Apple Sauce on here). The steel cut oats make this a crunchier muffin. This recipe is still in progress
1 cup President's Choice Blue Menu Steel Cut Oats
1 cup Skim Milk
1 cup Spelt Flour
0.5 cup Brown Sugar
0.5 cup Maple Apple Sauce
1 large egg
1 tsp baking powder
0.5 tsp baking soda
0.25 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
0.5 tsp ground nutmeg
0.5 tsp ground allspice
2. Preheat Oven to 400 F
3. Spray Muffin Pan or Grease (not included in nutritional content)
4. Mix wet ingredients (including brown sugar) with oat/milk mixture
5. In a seperate bowl mix dry ingredients together.
6. Sift dry ingredients into wet bowl. If you don't have a sifter use a whisk and mix well for 2 mins then pour into wet bowl.
7. Fold ingredients together. Mix until no dry spots, but do not over mix.
8. Use 1/3 cup measure to spoon batter into muffin pan.
9. Bake 15, check with toothpick to see if done. Check once every 5 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
You could easily change this to suit your fancy with added fruit, nuts, seeds spices etc.
Makes 12 muffins
Number of Servings: 12
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user KNITWEST.
Rate This Recipe
Member Ratings For This Recipe
Stated still in progress. How long ago was this posted and what progress has been made? I'd like to try this, but really would like it with the updates if there are any. Thanks - 2/2/10
Reply from KNITWEST (2/3/10)
Just shared this the other day. The recipe is good as it is, I was just thinking about substituting some things to get the calorie count down further. Go ahead and try this recipe, muffins are crunchy and moist. btw, i've shared my maple apple sauce recipe, it's just apples and 1 tbsp maple syrup.