Beer Cheese SoupSubmitted by: CSHROADS01
2 tbsp margarine
1 chopped medium sized yellow onion
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 (12-ounce) beer of choice
7 ounces 2% Cheddar, shredded
7 ounces processed Swiss cheese, shredded
2 cups fat free half-and-half
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 pound lite smoked sausage
2. Add chopped onion, carrot, and celery. Saute until softened. Add flour.
3. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
4. Add chicken broth and beer. Heat until it comes to a boil.
5. Slowly add cheese while stirring until just boiling and smooth.
6. Add half-and-half, salt, dry mustard, and Worcestershire sauce.
7. Reduce heat to low and cook until soup has thickened.
8. Cut smoked sausage into 1/2-inch pieces and place in a saucepan.
9. Saute sausage over medium heat until heated through. It will probably take about 5 to 7 minutes. Add sausage to the soup.
10. Transfer to a large serving bowl and serve hot.
Number of Servings: 8
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user CSHROADS01.