Chicken and Brown Rice soupSubmitted by: SPYCEDTX
Introductionsimple soup, and healthy. simple soup, and healthy.
2 medium yellow onions, diced
5 long celery stalks, diced
6 cloves of garlic, some diced, some whole (add to taste)
3lb whole roaster chicken (skin and innards removed, deboned optional -- see cooking instructions)
4 cups of uncooked med grain brown rice
lightly sautee in the bottom of a big (8qt+) pot in a small bit of oil
add deboned chicken (skinned) and fill with water to cover chicken
- (optional) if you have a strainer/steamer addition for your pot, you can place the whole chicken in this. this makes it easier to remove once boiled, without worry of small bones floating in your soup
- bring to boil until chicken is white and tender, and is easily removed from the bone
- (optional) remove chicken, debone, and add chicken meat back to soup
- (optional) before adding rice, continue boiling/simmering to reduce overall volume
- add 4 cups of brown brice
- continue boiling until rice is done and water level is down to ~6qts, or desired consistency
Makes approx 24 1 cup servings.
Number of Servings: 24
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user SPYCEDTX.