Macaroni and CheeseSubmitted by: ACADEMY252
IntroductionThis is a family favorite without preservatives and artificial ingredients that I feel good feeding my family... It is baked in the oven. This is a family favorite without preservatives and artificial ingredients that I feel good feeding my family... It is baked in the oven.
* Pasta, whole wheat elbows, 16 oz
* Egg, fresh, 2 large
* Milk, canned, evaporated, 12 fl oz - can also use the skim version of this
* Cheddar Cheese, 4 cup, shredded - can use low fat or soy cheeses for this
* Salt, .5 tsp - I leave this out often due to husband's hypertension and there is plenty of salt in the cheese
* Butter, unsalted, 2 tbsp - you could sub margarine but it is just not as good and I cannot have soy products so I go with butter.
While pasta is cooking start the evaporated milk warming in a small saucepan on the stove.
Crack eggs into a mixing bowl and set aside.
Now take the warmed evaporated milk and temper it into the egg so you won't curdle the egg. Add your salt and stir it in.
Add the grated cheese to the evap milk/eg mixture.
Once the pasta is still a little al dente strain off the water and add the butter and toss it until melted and then add the milk/egg/cheese mixture to it.
Transfer the whole thing to a baking crock or pan and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until bubbling on top a little and warmed thoroughly throughout.
Serve with meat of choice or have as main with a salad and fruit.
Number of Servings: 12
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user ACADEMY252.