Italian style Clam ChowderSubmitted by: ANGEL1066
IntroductionThis is a tomato & vegetable based chowder, much higher in fiber & nutrients plus lower in fat than the cream based kind. A good lunch or supper dish anytime, great for Lent. This is a tomato & vegetable based chowder, much higher in fiber & nutrients plus lower in fat than the cream based kind. A good lunch or supper dish anytime, great for Lent.
16 oz. can Italian petite diced tomatos with garlic or Hunt's Italian diced tomatos with herbs and garlic. Either work, for about the same calories.
a 6.5 oz. can of chopped clams
dry seasoning, 1/2 to 1 teaspoon as you like. I use Schilling's dry Italian seasonings &/ or fresh garden herbs, but Mrs. Dash's garlic & herb will work. Both have zero calories.
1 baking size potato
1 large stalk of celery
1 single large leaf of bok choy,
2 tablespoons of celery leafy tops
1. Empty the entire 16 oz.can of tomatoes plus the juice from a 6.5 oz. can of chopped clams into a large sauce pan. Reserve the clams to add later. Add the dry seasoning, 1/2 to 1 teaspoon as you like. I actually use Schilling's dry Italian seasonings, but Mrs. Dash's garlic & herb will work. Both have zero calories.
2. dice a baking size potato and slice a large carrot and stalk of celery thinly, or use the equivalent in dried. Add to the pan and simmer until almost tender.
3. Dice a single large leaf of bok choy, white and green parts. Add the white parts & continue simmering until all the veggies are tender, reserving green parts to add with clams.
4. Dice a couple tablespoons of celery leafy tops and a scallion, white & tender green parts, and add to the pot with the reserved clams and bok choy greens.
5. Heat until a good simmer resumes plus a minuteif needed, until tender to your taste. Serve. Serves 4 single cup servings, 143 calories each, or 3 nice soup bowls full, 192 cal. each.
Suggested Go-Withs: Crusty bread goes well with this, if you can afford the calories. An antipasto plate with cut raw & pickled vegetables, olives, possibly a little cheese also good.
Number of Servings: 1
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user ANGEL1066.