Member Comments for the Article:

Read This Before Starting a Low-Carb Diet

242 Comments


10/3/2017 3:11:06 PM

TOUDLES's SparkPage
Boy SP certainly has a problem with low carb diets? Such a shame when they do help so many people. Personally I dropped my A1C from 7.8 to 5.1 in about 6 mo. by eating low carb. and I am off the evil medications, thirty pounds lighter and feeling great. I eat lots and lots of cabbage, broccoli, all kinds of peppers, carrots, squash, spinach and leafy greens, all kinds of lettuce, green bean and many other veggies, and my triglycerides also dropped from 300 to 149, cholesterol is down also, I eat full fat everything, avoiding omega6 fats. I do not follow a Keto diet, but your comment about nausea, and headaches, is really misleading and irresponsible, because I am sure you know this is simply the symptoms of carb withdrawal and will pass in a few days. And if there are not so good carbs out there as you suggest, why include them in a healthy diet at all? even once a week.
10/3/2017 12:27:28 PM

GIPPER1961's SparkPage
They seem to recycle this article every few weeks. It seems to be a pet peeve of SP that people like low carb diets despite all the panicked articles they put out
10/3/2017 12:09:54 PM

NANASUEH's SparkPage
Thank you for ringing the bell about the dangers of avoiding all carbs. Healthy whole grains are necessary.
10/3/2017 12:08:43 PM

WOUBBIE's SparkPage
Good comment @CRAFTYMRSG87! We actually changed the team picture for the Living Low Carb team to reflect the high proportion of veg that's included in most low carb ways of eating - greens, broccoli, avocado, berries, tomatoes. Most of us actually eat MORE veg and get MORE fiber than when we ate all that processed carbage that you find on grocery store shelves. The takeaway is: whole, real food, minimally processed.
10/3/2017 11:24:36 AM

CRAFTYMRSG87's SparkPage
Aaaand here we go again... Low carb does not mean NO carbs. We just stay away from overly processed CRAP carbs and stick to whole foods (veggies, legumes, fruit, whole grains) and away from white flour, excess sugar, etc.
Please, for the love of food, do the research before writing an article mmkay? It's not an all you can eat meat fest either, 80% of the plate is veggies/fruit while the other 20% is protein and healthy fats (usually the healthy fat is in the meat, like fish).
10/3/2017 11:20:40 AM

PASTORDAN_ATDCC's SparkPage
thanks
TOMATOCAFEGAL
10/3/2017 10:55:14 AM

EVERY BODY IS DIFFERENT. TRACK HONESTLY -- IF IT ACTUALLY WORKS FOR YOU IN LOSING OR MAINTAINING THEN KEEP IT IN YOUR FOOD GROUP.
10/3/2017 10:03:45 AM

GEORGE815's SparkPage
Having Diabetes 2 here, my body reacts poorly to too many carbs. Managing them is a day to day concern. We can eat something else but carbs for our nutrition. It is difficult to eat the full compliment of carbs and still have low blood sugar scores. It is a day to day battle.
10/3/2017 2:17:31 AM

MYWAYHIWAY's SparkPage
No one eats no carbs, nearly impossible because the veg and fruits you eat on KETO diet have carbs. We restrict carbs like some people choose to limit calories or not eat meat. I am not diabetic but type 2 runs rampant in my family so I decided to stave it off as long as possible. Just counting calories and eating good carbs did not give me consistent lasting weight loss results as Keto has.
CACUJIN
9/27/2017 11:12:50 PM

If it is on the internet, it must be truth, Right? Ted Talks, Youtube, Buy-my-book web sites? No, thank you. The internet is full of BS. I'll listen to my health care provider...at least I know where their education came from.

I don't bother with specialty diets or whatever FAD is going on at any given time.
9/26/2017 11:29:13 AM

VDALE4's SparkPage
Great Info to know about..
9/20/2017 11:41:16 PM

SUNSET09's SparkPage
Good information and we should read most things before we try them, if not all. What works for one, does not work for others.
9/20/2017 8:00:35 AM

ALEPEQUIJADA's SparkPage
Great!
9/19/2017 10:34:52 PM

CHANGEHASTOCOME's SparkPage
great info
9/17/2017 2:01:12 AM

_BABE_'s SparkPage
I agree that cutting out any entire food group is ridiculous. I work with a lot of 20 something females who do nothing but eat salads ( some sort of white lettuce) with protein and fruit is a dirty word.

Comment Pages (17 total)
[2]

Leave a Comment

Article comments allow you to share your own tips, experiences and ideas about SparkPeople's articles. All article comments must abide by SparkPeople's Community Guidelines. Please do not ask questions here. If you have any questions, please post them on the Message Boards in order to get a response.




To make a comment, please Login or Join For Free