Lazy Rice and Beans
- Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 328.5
- Total Fat: 9.0 g
- Cholesterol: 11.4 mg
- Sodium: 381.4 mg
- Total Carbs: 54.3 g
- Dietary Fiber: 7.7 g
- Protein: 13.6 g
IntroductionI make this when I'm too tired or lazy after work to make a real dinner but want to up my protien intake :) Does not take more than 15 mins, even less if you have cooked rice handy. I make this when I'm too tired or lazy after work to make a real dinner but want to up my protien intake :) Does not take more than 15 mins, even less if you have cooked rice handy.
a. 1 cup rice (cooked) - I like basmati
b. half cup canned beans (undrained)
c. 1 large onion (chopped)
d. quarter cup grated cheese (any cheese you like - I like monterey jack - jalapeno flavor)
e. Mixed vegetables - 1 bell pepper and about 5-8 button mushrooms (can be replaced with anything on hand)
f. 2 tbsp salsa (good if you have it, can make it without)
g. Cilantro to garnish
h. 2-6 small green chillis (thai) slit open through the center
h. Salt to taste (usually I don't add any- the beans and cheese are salty enough)
In the past I've tried to modify the recipe to have no leftovers, but it did not taste quite right when I made smaller quantities.
For the really lazy version - use rice in a bag. Once the rice is cooked, pop the undrained rice and beans together in the microwave for 2 mins.
In another covered bowl, steam half a cup of vegetables in the microwave
Cook the rice and beans, vegetables and salsa together on a medium flame. Add the cheese - cook until the cheese melts and mixes with everything else. You're done.
2. Take half a cup of beans (undrained). Separate out the liquid and keep aside. Pop the drained beans (drained) in the microwave for a 90 seconds on high power
3. Finely chop the onions
4. Slit the thai chili peppers open vertically through the center. I use around 5 or 6 to make this really spicy. For a milder taste, 1-2 should be sufficient. If you want it really mild don't cut the chili open, just slice the cap off.
5. Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and saute the spicy green chilli in it for about 10 seconds - this makes the oil spicy
6. Add the onions and saute till it's translucent. If you have the salsa handy add it to the onions when they are translucent to enhance the flavor.
7. Add in mushrooms and green peppers and continue to sautee until the mushrooms have really reduced in volume - this takes about 2 minutes.
8. Add in the beans and rice and the liquid that you had set aside. Add the second teaspoon of oil so that everything does not stick together. Stir the mixture well so that rice, beans and veggies mix well together.
9. Add the cheese and cook until the cheese melts and mixes with the rice and beans
10. Garnish with cilantro
11. Scoop into bowls and serve hot!
Serving Size: Makes two 1 cup servings of rice and beans
Number of Servings: 2
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user GSTRAVELLER.