Steve's Basic Baked Beans
IntroductionA simple vegetarian/vegan baked beans recipe with coffee, molasses, and brown sugar. A little cayenne (or a lot!) adds some bite. A simple vegetarian/vegan baked beans recipe with coffee, molasses, and brown sugar. A little cayenne (or a lot!) adds some bite.
1 lb navy beans (dry) ~430-440g after sorting
1 to 1 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup tomato paste
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 cup coffee
water or vegetable broth
Optional: mustard (ground or liquid, about a Tbsp of the latter)
Once cooked and slightly cooled, divide into individual 1/2 servings and store in the refrigerator. Reheat when necessary.
If you sautee the onions on the range in a pot/skillet, stir in the ingredients, and bring to a simmer, you can then transfer the entire batch from a pot/skillet to a slow cooker and cook on low at least 8 hours.
"Set it and forget it!"
1. Chop onion(s) and sautee in large dutch oven or casserole over medium heat.
2. Once onions have softened and begun to brown, add tomato paste, molasses, and brown sugar; stir until well-blended.
3. add 1 cup of coffee and beans. Add 3-4 cups of bean water; if you run out, supplement with vegetable stock/broth. Bring to a boil.
4. Add salt, pepper, cayenne (and, optionally, mustard). Stir. Cover.
5. Place casserole / dutch oven in 250F oven -- remove middle rack, set on lower -- and let cook 6-8 hours. Stir after 6 hours and taste. You can lower the temperature to 200F and leave in the oven overnight or longer.
Serving Size: makes 14 1/2-cup servings