IntroductionThis is the better version of flan, much lighter and tastier! This is the better version of flan, much lighter and tastier!
1 liter non-fat Milk (4 1/4 cups)
1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
1 pkg Vanilla sugar (or 1 tbsp vanilla extract)
1/2 cup Granulated Sugar to caramelize
1 tbsp lemon or lime juice
* I usually add water and a tbsp of lemon juice to the sugar. This way you make a syrup, so that he sugar doesn't burn and doesn't get too hard or too hot. Be careful when pouring the caramel into the tray/cups as it is really hot -- I suggest using metal or Pyrex tray/cups.
I already cut the sugar in the milk mixture in half, but you may replace some of it with a non-calorie sweetener in order to save some calories!
2) Add them to the milk and mix well;
3) Add the vanilla;
4) Caramelize 1/2 cup of sugar* and pour it into a large tray or into individual small cups (6 or 12);
5) Pour the milk/egg mixture over the caramel;
6) Microwave until cooked, making sure the mix doesn't boil, so it keeps a smooth texture (originally, caramel creme is cooked in the oven in a water bath, but the microwave option is faster and easier).
Serving Size: Makes 12 individual servings