Cheesy Broccoli, Chicken and "Rice" Casserole with Bacon (LOW CARB)
- Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 253.5
- Total Fat: 17.6 g
- Cholesterol: 68.2 mg
- Sodium: 391.7 mg
- Total Carbs: 6.9 g
- Dietary Fiber: 2.7 g
- Protein: 18.2 g
IntroductionBaked casserole with chicken, cauliflower, broccoli & bacon. Baked casserole with chicken, cauliflower, broccoli & bacon.
2 cups broccoli florets, steamed
2 cups riced cauliflower, riced & steamed (about one small head)
1/4 small red or yellow onion, minced
1 clove fresh garlic, minced (could sub 1/8 tsp. garlic powder)
5 strips bacon, fried and crumbled (reserve one tablespoon of bacon drippings)
2 cups cooked chicken (I used shredded leftover rotisserie chicken meat)*
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream (preferably organic and grass fed)
1/4 cup sour cream (or full-fat, no sugar yogurt)
2 T butter
1 3/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (1 1/2 + 1/4 cup set aside)
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
Riced cauliflower: slough off the florets from a head of cauliflower, put them in a food processor and process until they reach a rice-like texture. Place into a microwave-safe glass container and microwave uncovered, for five minutes on high. That's it-- you now have "riced" cauliflower.
This recipe was found on Cutthewheat.com. Several readers commented that they omitted the chicken, and used this casserole as a side dish with any protein. I've made it a number of times, and it's delicious! Great low carb/high fat fare.
2. Pan fry bacon, set aside onto paper towels to drain, reserving 1 T. of bacon grease.
3. Sautee onion and garlic (or garlic powder) in the bacon drippings and place into a small container and set aside.
4. In a medium sized casserole dish, combine riced cauliflower, broccoli florets, onion and garlic and chicken into an even mixture. Set aside.
5. In a large sauce pan, combine cream, yogurt, butter, salt and pepper and heat over low-medium heat until mixture begins to simmer. Use a wire whisk to constantly stir the mixture. Once smooth and hot, add in 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese. Continue to whisk the mixture together over low-medium heat until the cheese is completely melted and does not stick to the whisk. Turn off heat.
6. Pour the cheese sauce over the casserole mixture and gently stir to assure the sauce coats the mixture evenly.
7. Top the casserole with 1/4 cup cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon pieces. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or until it is hot and bubbly. (Or longer if you want the top browned a bit.)
8. Allow casserole to cool for 10 minutes then serve.
Serving Size: Makes 4 generous servings
Number of Servings: 4
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user AUNTROCKY.
Rate This Recipe
Recipe CollectionsHere are user created Recipe Collection which have this recipe:
- by: CD1739901