Mexican Chicken Bean Soup
Introductionchicken, beans, veggies...ultimate comfort food. Brand names I use are in parentheses (not endorsing the brands, just the ones I can eat) chicken, beans, veggies...ultimate comfort food. Brand names I use are in parentheses (not endorsing the brands, just the ones I can eat)
1 onion, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 (32 oz) carton chicken broth (Pacific Organic Chicken Broth)
1 16 oz jar of salsa (Full Circle Organic Salsa - Medium)
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed (Libby's Organic)
1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed (Libby's Organic)
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers (La Preferida Organic diced)
2 boneless chicken breast halves, cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces (or 4-6 chicken thighs or combo white and dark meat)
avocado cut into chunks
shredded Monterey Jack cheese (buy the block, shred yourself)
plain Greek Yogurt - instead of sour cream (Fage)
chopped green onions
tortilla chips (Frontera)
The sodium content seems outrageous to me. Make sure all canned items are rinsed well to remove sodium residue. Do NOT add salt to the recipe.
Instead of the corn chips, I have also used portabella mushrooms as dippers.
Greek yogurt is used instead of sour cream.
2. Saute onion and garlic in the olive oil until tender.
3. Add chili powder, oregano, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
4. Add the salsa, drained and rinsed beans, and chile peppers. Heat through.
5. Add the diced/chopped chicken. Heat through.
6. Place desired amount of avocado, cheese, Greek yogurt and green onions into a bowl. Ladle soup over these ingredients and stir. Dip chips into the soup and enjoy!
Serving Size: 8 or so 1 cup servings