Savoury Zucchini MuffinsSubmitted by: PHRASER
IntroductionSavoury muffins are a common Australian food, but they're often full of cheese. These are lighter, healthier, free from cheese (and vegan). You could reduce the salt if you like. Just a pinch would be OK. Savoury muffins are a common Australian food, but they're often full of cheese. These are lighter, healthier, free from cheese (and vegan). You could reduce the salt if you like. Just a pinch would be OK.
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup wholemeal flour
7/8 cup plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
200mL low fat soy milk
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
100mL vegetable oil (I use the stuff from the jar of sun dried tomatoes for extra flavour)
2 zucchini, grated - about 1 3/4 cups
8 large basil leaves, shredded
2 TB (40mL) water, or as needed
Australian cup and spoon measures used - 1 cup=250mL, 1 TB=20mL.
2. Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl.
3. Combine wet ingredeints in a jug.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until partly combined (still streaky with flour is OK). Add the 2TB water (or more) if it's too dry. Do not mix excessively or the muffins will be tough.
5. Add the zucchini and basil and fold through - it should now look combined.
6. Spoon into muffin trays and bake for 20 minutes, or until golden. Remove from trays promptly and allow to cool on a wire rack.
Serving Size: Makes 12 1/2 cup tin size muffins
Number of Servings: 12
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user PHRASER.