(Almost) General Tso's Chicken
- Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 386.5
- Total Fat: 2.1 g
- Cholesterol: 68.4 mg
- Sodium: 1,745.4 mg
- Total Carbs: 53.2 g
- Dietary Fiber: 4.7 g
- Protein: 38.7 g
View full nutritional breakdown of (Almost) General Tso's Chicken calories by ingredient
IntroductionRocco Dispirito Rocco Dispirito
Number of Servings: 4
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 cups whole-wheat panko crumbs
4 large egg whites
12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1-inch cubes)
4 cups broccoli florets
3/4 cup Rockin' Asian Stir-Fry sauce (recipe to follow)
3 packets Truvia
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 450. Place a wire rack on a foil-line baking sheet and set aside.
2. Put the flour in a shallow dish. Put the panko in another shallow dish. In a medium bowl, whip the egg whites with a whisk until they are extremely foamy but not quite holding peaks. Working in batches, dredge the chicken in flour, shaking off any excess. Add the chicken to the egg whites and toss to coat completely. Then add the chicken, a few pieces at a time, to the panko and toss to coat completely.
3. Spread the chicken out on the wire rack. Bake until the breading is golden and crispy and the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, place the broccoli florets in a microwave-safe dish, and cover it with plastic wrap. Cook on high until tender, about 4 minutes. Keep the broccoli covered until ready to serve.
5. In a large bowl, combine the Rockin' Asian Stir-Fry sauce, Truvia, rice vinegar and chili garlic sauce. Add the cooked chicken to the bowl, and toss gently until the chicken is evenly coated with the sauce.
6. Sprinkle the sesame seeds over the chicken, and serve with the steamed broccoli.
Number of Servings: 4
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user COAGER15.
Rate This Recipe
Member Ratings For This Recipe
We made this without the bread crumbs, flour, or egg for the batter. That way we could have a 4 oz serving for fewer calories. Serve it with rice and it's a whole meal. It had all the flavor of General Tso's chicken. My family loved it and we have a new favorite stir fry sauce from it too! - 3/27/11