- Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 210.1
- Total Fat: 7.7 g
- Cholesterol: 24.8 mg
- Sodium: 798.4 mg
- Total Carbs: 11.9 g
- Dietary Fiber: 1.0 g
- Protein: 22.2 g
Healthy Mac and Cheese RecipeSubmitted by: FITNESSMAGAZINE
IntroductionMacaroni and cheese is a comfort-food favorite. You'll love this recipe, which is low in fat and calories. Recipe from "Now Eat This!" a Ballantine Trade Paperback Original by Rocco DiSpirito Macaroni and cheese is a comfort-food favorite. You'll love this recipe, which is low in fat and calories. Recipe from "Now Eat This!" a Ballantine Trade Paperback Original by Rocco DiSpirito
Nonstick cooking spray
4 ounces whole wheat macaroni
1/2 cup onion-garlic puree (see "Rocco D's Secret Weapon," below)
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
Pinch cayenne pepper
1 cup shredded 50 percent reduced-fat cheddar
1/3 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
1/4 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
Step 1: Combine 1 large Vidalia onion, 9 garlic cloves (roughly chopped), and 1/2 cup water in a microwave-safe bowl. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
Step 2: Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and microwave on high 10 minutes.
Step 3: Pour the mixture into a blender; blend until smooth. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. (Store in a covered container in the fridge for up to 72 hours.)
FOR COOKING INSTRUCTIONS FOR MAC N CHEESE:
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Mist an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with cooking spray; set it aside.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook according to package directions, drain.
3. Meanwhile, bring onion-garlic puree, mustard, and cayenne to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring often. Whisk in cheddar until melted. Remove from heat and whisk in yogurt.
4. In a medium bowl, toss the macaroni with the cheese sauce. Season with salt to taste. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle panko over the top. Top with Parmesan.
5. Bake until Parmesan is melted and macaroni is hot throughout, about 10 minutes.
Additional nutrition facts per serving (about 2/3 cup): 237 calories, 17g protein, 31g carbohydrate, 7g fat (4g saturated), 3g fiber
Serving Size: 2/3 cup
Number of Servings: 4
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user FITNESSMAGAZINE.