Lentil Vegetable Soup
IntroductionThis hearty soup will warm you from the inside out. This hearty soup will warm you from the inside out.
Number of Servings: 1
- 1 cup dried brown lentils
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14 1/2 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalks (including leaves,)chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Pour lentils in a bowl, cover with water, and allow to sit overnight.
2. Over medium heat, cook onions in olive oil in a large soup pan. Add garlic and celery. Once celery begins to soften, add carrots, tomatoes, bay leaf and vegetable stock.
3. Pour in drained lentils.
4. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and allow the soup to simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Remove and discard bay leaf and add vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Makes 4 servings.
Rate This Recipe
Member Ratings For This Recipe
A low sodium broth is in need here as the level is way to high. You also don't need the vinegar unless you are planning on storing it or canning it as it is a preservative.
Also DONT THROW OUT THAT BEAN SOAK WATER! If you have house plants water them with it is loaded with nutrients. - 2/21/09
Lentil soup is a staple. No need to soak, still cooks in 30 - 40 m . Use low sodium broth or water to reduce the sodium. I don't use canned tomatoes, that can be another source of sodium. I add a couple tablespoons of cider vinegar and a dollop of mustard at the end. More like a stew. - 10/10/08