- Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 353.8
- Total Fat: 13.7 g
- Cholesterol: 99.5 mg
- Sodium: 382.9 mg
- Total Carbs: 19.7 g
- Dietary Fiber: 3.6 g
- Protein: 36.0 g
Smothered Pork Chops with Apples and Cheddar CheeseSubmitted by: FRECKS96
IntroductionFrom the cookbook "Now Eat This" by Rocco DiSpirito From the cookbook "Now Eat This" by Rocco DiSpirito
1 large red onion, cut into 1/2" thick slices
3 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 6 wedges each
1/2 C low sodium chicken broth
16 oz. pork loin (4 portions ~1.5" thick)-trimmed
2 TBS Dijon mustard
2 TBS chopped fresh tarragon
1/2 C reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
2. Separate the onion rings. Lay the onion rings and apples in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Spray lightly with cooking spray and season to taste with salt and pepper. Roast the apples and onions until the apples are tender and beginning to brown, about 20 minutes.
3. Turn the broiler on high. Broil the apples and onions until they are slightly charred,about 3 minutes.
4. Put about 3/4 of the apple-onion mixture into a blender and add the chicken broth. Puree until the mixture is smooth. (Set the remaining apples and onions aside)
5. Heat a large cast iron skillet over high heat. Season the pork with salt and pepper to taste. When the pan is hot, spray it with cooking spray and add the pork. Saute until the pork is golden brown and just cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the pork to a serving platter and tent it with foil to keep it warm.
6. Reduce the heat under the skillet to low and add the pureed apple mixture. Whisk in the mustard. Add the remaining roasted apples and onions and the tarragon to the skillet. Remove the skillet from the heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir to evenly coat the apples and onions with the sauce.
7. Spoon the apple mixture over the pork chops, sprinkle with the cheese and serve.
Makes 4 servings.
Number of Servings: 4
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user FRECKS96.