Egg Curry (with potato)
- Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 307.0
- Total Fat: 16.3 g
- Cholesterol: 196.5 mg
- Sodium: 702.1 mg
- Total Carbs: 30.0 g
- Dietary Fiber: 4.8 g
- Protein: 11.0 g
IntroductionA traditional south Indian comfort food! For most of my friends, I cut back the chili powder to 1/2-3/4 tsp per recipe made. A traditional south Indian comfort food! For most of my friends, I cut back the chili powder to 1/2-3/4 tsp per recipe made.
6 eggs, hard boiled (12-18 eggs for large groups)
2 T olive oil
1 t mustard seed
1 t cumin seed
12-15 curry leaves (dried is fine)
1 medium/large onion (8 oz)
1/4 cup unsweetened fresh (or frozen) coconut
1 lb fresh red ripe tomatoes, diced (1 can stewed or diced tomatoes fine)
1 13.5 oz lite coconut milk (Chaokoh brand preferred, but high fat)
1 cup water
1/2 t turmeric
1 t garam masala
3-4 t chili powder
1 t coriander powder
2 t ginger paste
2 tsp salt
2 t crushed garlic (or paste)
24 oz (684 gr) red potatoes
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (stemps and leaves)
To lighted for a larger group, quarter or cut up the eggs whites while using only half the yolks (crumble and allow to incorporate into the curry sauce).
With a large group or pot luck, I add 18 eggs per recipe sometimes, as well as additional potatoes and 1/3 cup besan (chickpea) flour to thicken curry, to eat with little or no rice side dish (not in nutritional information). Five recipes fill an 18-qt slow cooker.
2) In heated oil, add mustard seed, cumin seed, and curry leaves until mustard seed pop (about 1-2 minutes)
3) add onion, saute about 5 minutes
4) Add remaining spices (turmeric, masala, chili, coriander, ginger, garlic, and salt), fresh unsweetened, shredded or grated coconut (unsweetened at the Asian grocer), tomatoes, water , and coconut milk, cooking about 5 minutes.
5) Add potatoes (quartered with skin left on). I often add these already roasted in the oven where they only need to be brought up to heat to serve curry.
6) Score with knife egg white of while leaving yolks in tact. Add to curry.
7) Add cilantro. Cook until potatoes are done (about 20 minutes)
8) Serve on rice.