Jamaican Jerk Black Bean Burgers
- Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 165.0
- Total Fat: 4.2 g
- Cholesterol: 23.1 mg
- Sodium: 12.3 mg
- Total Carbs: 22.5 g
- Dietary Fiber: 7.0 g
- Protein: 9.4 g
IntroductionThese burgers are vegetarian, low-fat, low sodium, and low carb. They are just slightly spiced with Jamaican Jerk Seasonings. These burgers are vegetarian, low-fat, low sodium, and low carb. They are just slightly spiced with Jamaican Jerk Seasonings.
3 Cans Black Beans (unseasoned)
8 ounces Tempeh
2 Large Red Bell Peppers
1 Large Yellow Bell Pepper
2 Large Portabella Mushrooms
1 Large White Onion
1 Bunch Green Onion
1 Cup Rolled Oats
2 Large Eggs
4 TBSP Jerk Seasoning
To Taste Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder
- The reason this recipe was made to make 16 servings so that I can freeze a little over half for future meals! Be sure to seperate patties with wax paper when freezing.
- Top with a slice of lean turkey bacon and cheese for a delicious bacon cheeseburger. A slice of lean turkey bacon and a slice of cheese will add about 150 calories, but it makes for a heartier comfort food.
- Use this recipe to make your own Jerk Seasoning:
2. Put sauteed veggies into food processor and pulse until finely chopped (but not blended). You can use a hand held chopper or even mince the vegetables by hand (before sauteeing), if you don't have a food processor.
3. Set veggies aside.
4. Put black beans, tempeh, oats, egg, and seasonings into food processor and pulse until well-blended (but not pureed). You can mash the ingredients with a potato masher if you don't have a food processor, but you'll have to chop the oats before-hand.
5. Mix chopped veggies and black bean mixture in a bowl using your hands. It should feel something like a loose meatloaf mixture. If it's too runny, at bit more chopped oats.
6. Separate into 3 inch wide patties (1/2 inch thick) and cook in a bit of vegetable oil (I used PAM) on medium-high heat for 5-6 minutes per side. They should be a bit crisp on the outside, similar to a real burger.
7. Serve warm, on a small whole wheat roll or by itself. Top with Jamaican Jerk Sweet Chili Sauce (another of my recipes on Spark People, calories not included).
MAKES ABOUT 16 SMALL PATTIES
16 SERVINGS= 150 Calories per serving
Serving Size:†Makes 16 patties (approx. 3 ounce per patty)