Mexican Lasagna Bake
IntroductionDelicious one-dish meal with plenty of flavor that is still mild enough for all ages! Delicious one-dish meal with plenty of flavor that is still mild enough for all ages!
2 Cups of Corn Meal
1 1/2 to 2 1/4 cups of ice-cold water
1 tsp Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to Taste
1 Can (2 Cups) Refried Beans
1 Can (2 Cups) Refried Black Beans
1 Medium Zucchini, sliced thing lengthwise
1 Medium Yellow Squash, sliced thing lengthwise
1 Green Pepper, chopped
1 Medium Videlia Onion, chopped
10 oz Chicken Breast, cooked and chopped
1 Cup and 2 tbs Cottage Cheese
2 Cups 'Mexican' Blend Shredded Cheese
4 tbs Olive Oil
4 tbs Taco Seasoning
1 Cup Salsa
This can easily be expanded to a larger pan with more layers, while the chicken can be substituted out for any other meat or more exotic vegetables to create a vegetarian version. With a larger batch, I'd likely suggest more of the cheese filling and more salsa.
1) Combine Corn Meal with half of the water, mixing with your hand (use latex gloves for ease).
2) Add Salt and Pepper, then egg and spritz of Olive Oil, continuing to combine by hand.
3) Continuing slowly adding water until masa dough holds together without being mushy.
4) Place in plastic bag, pushing into a tight log, allowing to set and re-hydrate, at least 30 min
5) Pulverize Cottage cheese in food processor until smooth.
6) Saute onions and bell peppers with a tbs of the Taco Seasoning.
7) Combine 2 Cups of cottage cheese with 1 cup of Mexican Blend Cheese.
8) Combine both cans of beans in pot with remaining 2 tbs of pulverized cottage cheese and the remainder of the taco seasoning. Bring up to the point where it is bubbling.
9) Use Olive oil to grease the bottom of a 10x15 baking dish.
10) Retrieve dough from refrigerator and split into two portions, rolling them out into two sheets, approximately 10x15.
11) Layer the ingredients together, first the dough, then half of the bean mixture, yellow squash, sauteed onions and peppers, cheese mixture, second layer of dough, zucchini, the remaining beans, chicken and salsa.
12) Sprinkle the remaining cup of cheese across the top.
13) Bake for 25-35 Minutes
14) Allow five minutes for the bake to set up before cutting into and serving.
Makes approximately 15 servings
Serving Size: Makes 15 Servings
Number of Servings: 15
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user CLANDESTINEONI.
Rate This Recipe
Recipe CollectionsHere are user created Recipe Collection which have this recipe:
- by: CLANDESTINEONI