Mushroom Barley Soup (vegan)
- Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 63.6
- Total Fat: 0.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
- Sodium: 146.7 mg
- Total Carbs: 13.5 g
- Dietary Fiber: 3.0 g
- Protein: 2.5 g
IntroductionThis is a hearty soup - perfect for a cold, blustery day.
Yield: 4 quarts, about 16 1-cup servings. Freezes well. This is a hearty soup - perfect for a cold, blustery day.
Yield: 4 quarts, about 16 1-cup servings. Freezes well.
Button Mushrooms, 1 pound fresh
Garlic, 3 large cloves
Pearl Barley, 1 cup (not quick cooking)
Celery, 3 stalks, medium (7-1/2" - 8" long)
Onions, 2 medium (2-1/2" diameter)
Carrots, 2 large (7-1/4" to 8-1/2" long)
Water, 3 quarts*
Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Base* 3 tsp (1 Tbsp)**
Thyme, 2 tsp dried
* You may substitute 3 quarts of vegetable broth, homemade or commercial, for the water and vegetable base. Nutrition data will be different from this recipe according to what you use.
** There is a reduced sodium version of Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Base. None of my local stores carry it, so I used the regular organic product.
This soup, like most soups, is better the second day. Since the barley continues to expand and thicken the soup, I suggest making it the day before you plan to serve it. If you prefer a brothy soup, you may want to add more broth or water; but don't do that on the day you make it.
Prep time includes 2 hours for soaking the barley.
Serving Size: Yield: 4 quarts, 16 - 1 cup servings
This soup freezes beautifully.
1. Chop all vegetables into large dice, except garlic which should be minced or put through a garlic press.
2. Water saute onions, carrots, celery, and garlic in a large stockpot (One that holds at least 6 quarts) . Saute until tender but not brown.
3. Add the mushrooms, and cook until soft.
4. Add soaked barley, and immediately add water. Bring to a boil, and add vegetable base to the boiling water. Add dried thyme.
5. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer. Cover pan, and cook until barley is tender, about 45 minutes. Soup will thicken as it sits. For best result, refrigerate overnight because the barley expands further after cooking.