From Scratch Salsa Verde Beef Enchilada Casserole
- Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 363.6
- Total Fat: 19.3 g
- Cholesterol: 52.2 mg
- Sodium: 288.5 mg
- Total Carbs: 24.3 g
- Dietary Fiber: 4.3 g
- Protein: 23.2 g
IntroductionWant a mexican food dinner without the added salt and excessive fat? Try this enchillada recipe. The salsa is made from scratch. Want a mexican food dinner without the added salt and excessive fat? Try this enchillada recipe. The salsa is made from scratch.
1 pound tomatillos, husked
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 serrano chile peppers, minced
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1.5 cups water
1 pound extra lean ground beef
1 Tbs oregano
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion poder
2 Tbs chili powder
2 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive oil (in oil mister)
12 corn tortillas
3/4 frozen spinach, defrosted
1 cup fat free plain greek yogurt
1 package 2% mexican shredded cheese (seven 1/4 cup servings)
You can used store bought green salsa for this. However, you'll probably want a very mild salsa (or green enchilada sauce) and keep in mind that it will drastically increase the sodium per serving. The salsa is easy to make and can be prepared while the meat is cooking.
If you want more spice use additional serrano peppers when making the salsa. You may also want to add extra garlic or onion to the spinach mixture.
To lower fat further use less cheese or fat free cheese.
1. Place tomatillos, onion, garlic, and chile pepper into a saucepan. Season with cilantro, oregano, and cumin; pour in water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until the tomatillos are soft, 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Using a hand blender, carefully puree the tomatillos mixture.
To prepare casserole
1. Combine beef with chili powder, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder and cook in pan till no longer pink.
2. Spray bottom of 9x13 pan with oil.
3. Layer bottom of pan with about 4 tortillas; tear to cover in single layer.
4. mix together spinach and yogurt with 4 Tbs of salsa.
5. Spread 3/4 of spinach mixture into layer on top of tortillas.
6. Add another layer of tortillas as in step 4.
8. Using a slotted spoon combine beef with remaining spinach mixture and 1/4 cup of salsa and layer into casserole.
7. Add another layer of tortillas as in step 4.
8. Top with remaining salsa.
9. Bake at 350 in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
10. Top evenly with cheese.
11. Bake until cheese is melted; approx 5 min.
12. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes and cut into 8 equal servings.
Serving Size: makes 8 equal servings (approx 1 cup each)