Cheesy Chicken & Peppers over Brown Rice
- Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 473.1
- Total Fat: 20.2 g
- Cholesterol: 56.2 mg
- Sodium: 748.0 mg
- Total Carbs: 46.0 g
- Dietary Fiber: 4.3 g
- Protein: 24.3 g
IntroductionA delicious and easy dinnertime meal that incorporates many nutritional ingredients to deliver a flavorul punch. Marinated chicken breasts topped with onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, and cheese, then baked to juicy and satisfying perfection. A delicious and easy dinnertime meal that incorporates many nutritional ingredients to deliver a flavorul punch. Marinated chicken breasts topped with onions, bell peppers, tomatoes, and cheese, then baked to juicy and satisfying perfection.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, rinsed and dried
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. red cayenne pepper
- 3/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 sweet or yellow onion
- 2 bell peppers (I use red and green)
- 1 can of diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 to 2 cups of shredded cheese
- White rice, brown rice, or cooked pasta for serving
This recipe is from the food blog, If It Bakes You Happy (www.ifitbakesyouhappy.com), of which I am the author. This recipe has been adapted by me and is my own. For lower fat, omit the caramelization process completely and reduce the amount of cheese you top the chicken and peppers with.
2. Cut up your onions and bell peppers.
-Optional step: Caramelize your onions on the stove top by melting a tablespoon or two of butter or oil in
a medium skillet and then add the onions to the skillet. Add a pinch or two of sugar, to taste, then saute
the onions over medium heat until golden brown.If you wish, you can add in the bell peppers at the very
end of this process just to soften them up a bit. I just have issues with raw onion, and I never feel like it
cooks fully in the oven without a little help on the stove first.
3. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Place the tomatoes (juice included) over the marinated chicken breasts, then top with the onion and pepper mixture, spreading evenly. Place your baking dish in the preheated oven and bake for 25 to 35 minutes until chicken is done. Remove chicken from oven and sprinkle desired amount of cheese on top, then place back in the oven until cheese is melted.
4. Serve over rice or pasta and enjoy!
Serving Size: Makes 4 Servings (1 chicken breast over 1/2 cup brown rice)
Number of Servings: 4
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user AMBER_H710.