Breakfast Baked Apples (Vegetarian)
- Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 210.6
- Total Fat: 7.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
- Sodium: 302.8 mg
- Total Carbs: 24.8 g
- Dietary Fiber: 4.9 g
- Protein: 12.7 g
IntroductionA mildly sweet breakfast treat quick and easy enough for everyday meals and elegant enough for special occasions. For a heartier breakfast, serve with a side of scrambled eggs and a slice of wheat toast. A mildly sweet breakfast treat quick and easy enough for everyday meals and elegant enough for special occasions. For a heartier breakfast, serve with a side of scrambled eggs and a slice of wheat toast.
4 large (3 1/2" diameter) sweet red apples - Fuji, Gala, Kiku, etc.
4 Morningstar Farms Vegetarian Sausage Patties - Original, Hot and Spicy, or Maple Flavored
1 cup traditional oats (uncooked)
2 Tb Smart Balance Light
2 tsp cinnamon
Variations: Substitute a cup of Uncle Sam's Cereal or an equivalent amount of reduced-sugar flavored instant oatmeal for the traditional oats. Add a 1/4 of walnuts and a 1/4 cup of raisins or dried cranberries instead of the Morningstar Farms Vegetarian Sausage Patties.
If you prefer not to hollow out the apples or want a different presentation you can peel, core and chop them instead. Mix the chopped apples with the crumbled Morningstar Farms Vegetarian Sausage Patties, Smart Balance Light, and cinnamon. Spray four ramekins with cooking spray. Scoop the mixture into the ramekins. Place the ramekins in a glass baking dish with just enough water to cover the bottom and bake per the recipe instructions.
2) Cut off the top of 4 apples off and discard. Remove the inside of each apple with a spoon or melon baller very carefully, as to not puncture the peel. If you’re a skilled interior apple excavator, salvage and chop as much as you can so you can use it for Step 2. Alternatively, peel, core, and chop additional apples for filling.
3) Microwave the Morningstar Farms Vegetarian Sausage Patties for half the time indicated on the package and crumble.
4) Mix chopped apples with the crumbled Morningstar Farms Vegetarian Sausage Patties and cinnamon in a bowl. Scoop mix into hollow apples.
5) Place apples in an 8×8 or 9x9 pan. Add just enough water to the cover the bottom of the pan.
6) Cover with foil and bake for 20-25 minutes.
7) Remove foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
8) Using a spatula or slotted spoon, carefully transfer each apple to a plate for serving.
Serving Size: 4 individual servings
Number of Servings: 4
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user MPODOWITZ.
Rate This Recipe
Recipe CollectionsHere are user created Recipe Collection which have this recipe:
- by: YDELGRECO