Lean Pork Carnitas
- Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 221.5
- Total Fat: 9.1 g
- Cholesterol: 73.3 mg
- Sodium: 482.4 mg
- Total Carbs: 3.4 g
- Dietary Fiber: 0.3 g
- Protein: 32.5 g
IntroductionIn a time crunch, you can prepare it the night before, store the crockpot in the refrigerator, and put it on in the morning. In a time crunch, you can prepare it the night before, store the crockpot in the refrigerator, and put it on in the morning.
4-5 lb pork loin roast
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp Extra Light Olive Oil
2 oranges, zest first and then juice
1 lime, zest first and then juice
2 packets Herb Ox Sodium-Free Chicken Bouillon
2 cups water
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp Adobo
3-4 crushed garlic cloves
Great to serve over Lime-Cilantro Cauliflower Rice or in Romaine leaves instead of tortillas.
The reserved liquid can be used for a good soup base. Transfer into a container and refrigerate. It will be easier to remove the fat after it has solidified.
2. Prepare the spice blend in a shallow bowl. Add the steaks a couple at a time and coat. Let rest while a skillet comes to temp.
3. Heat a skillet or large thick-bottomed pan to medium-high. Add the olive oil.
4. Work in batches to ensure a quick and quality sear. Add 2-3 steaks, depending on the size of your pan and sear both sides. Move the browned pork to the slow cooker to rest.
5. When the last batch of meat is searing, bring together the stock, tomato paste, adobo and crushed garlic cloves. Use this to deglaze the pan once the final round of pork is removed.
6. While the broth simmers, juice two navel oranges and one lime and set aside.
7. After a few minutes, pour the broth over the seared pork in the slow cooker. Add the citrus juices. Cover and set the timer for 5 hours on low.
8. Strain out the pork steaks and reserve the liquid. If you h ave more than you need for the carnitas, you can store the extra easier now in chunks than after it is shredded.
9. Shred pork using two forks. Moisten with some of the leftover liquid and sprinkle with the orange/lime zest. Spread shredded pork on a cookie sheet and broil for a few minutes until crispy.
Serving Size: Makes a lot - probably too much for one meal