Chicken and Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 298.6
- Total Fat: 7.5 g
- Cholesterol: 33.8 mg
- Sodium: 91.1 mg
- Total Carbs: 43.9 g
- Dietary Fiber: 6.8 g
- Protein: 14.1 g
View full nutritional breakdown of Chicken and Quinoa Stuffed Acorn Squash calories by ingredient
IntroductionQuick and easy dinner in an edible bowl! If cut in quarters, can also be a side dish. Quick and easy dinner in an edible bowl! If cut in quarters, can also be a side dish.
Number of Servings: 4
Squash, winter, acorn, raw - 2 squash (4 inch dia)
Uncooked Quinoa - 0.5 cup dry
Water, tap, 1.125 cup
Leek - 1 cup chopped
Onion, White - .5 cup chopped
Garlic - 2 cloves minced
Broccoli - 1 cup chopped
Red bell pepper - 0.5 cup chopped
Ground Chicken - 6 oz
Italian Seasoning - 2 tsp
Olive Oil - 1 tbsp (for brushing)
Salt and Pepper - to taste
- Vegetable or chicken broth can be used instead of water in the filling mixture for more flavor.
- 1/2 acorn squash usually feeds 1 person
- If you cut them into quarters, this can also be a side dish.
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF. Add 1/4 in water to the bottom of a large baking dish. Cut squash in half and place the cut-side-down into the dish and poke a couple of holes into the rinds with a fork. Bake for 30 minutes and prep the filling while the squash is baking.
2. Being cooking ground chicken in a separate pan.
3. Heat a large pan over medium heat and add the quinoa and water. Bring quinoa to a boil, then adjust heat to low-medium and add the leeks, white onion, garlic, broccolini and red bell pepper to the cooked quinoa.
4. Cover, stirring occasionally until the broccolini is tender.
5. Add the ground chicken and italian seasoning. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Remove squash from baking dish and drain water. Apply a thin coat of Olive Oil to the face of the squash then fill the center hole of each of the halves with the quinoa.
7. Bake for an additional 10-15 mins or until the squash is fork-tender.
Serving Size: makes 4 halved stuffed squashes
Number of Servings: 4
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user SHIMMERMAMA.
Member Ratings For This Recipe