Helen's Baked Rigatoni
- Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 464.9
- Total Fat: 16.5 g
- Cholesterol: 49.8 mg
- Sodium: 491.0 mg
- Total Carbs: 58.5 g
- Dietary Fiber: 3.8 g
- Protein: 23.8 g
IntroductionMy kids and hubby love my spaghetti, but sometimes they get tired of eating spaghetti so I change up the pasta to rigatoni and bake it. It's a nice change and the rigatoni is very hearty. We love it for weeknight meals. My kids and hubby love my spaghetti, but sometimes they get tired of eating spaghetti so I change up the pasta to rigatoni and bake it. It's a nice change and the rigatoni is very hearty. We love it for weeknight meals.
1 small onion chopped
5 cloves of garlic chopped
1 small red bell pepper chopped
2 tbspn canola oil
1/2 tspn garlic powder
1/2 tspn ground black pepper
4 tbspn dark brown sugar
1 lb of lean ground beef (I use over 90% lean)
1 jar Ragu sautéed onion & garlic sauce
1/2 cup of water
1 box of Barilla Rigatoni
1 cup Mexican style shredded cheese
You can substitute the ground beef with ground turkey.
You don't have to add the cheese. I add the cheese so after it bakes the rigatoni stays together and wont fall apart when I slice it.
You can use any jar sauce you like. I just prefer Ragu sautéed onion and garlic.
Cook rigatoni according to box directions. While the rigatoni is cooking you can start making the sauce below.
1. Sautee high heat the onion, garlic, and red bell pepper in 2 tbspn of canola oil until the onion is transparent.
2. Add the ground beef and cook until it's brown.
3. Add garlic powder and pepper.
4. Stir in Ragu sauce and reduce heat to medium.
5. Add water in the ragu jar, place the lid back, and shake the jar until all the sauce is mixed with the water.
6. Pour the remaining sauce from the ragu jar in your pan.
7. Add brown sugar and mix well.
8. Simmer the sauce over medium low heat for 5 minutes.
9. Add rigatoni in your pan and mix.
10. Pour into a rectangular baking dish and top with 1 cup of Mexican style cheese. Cover with foil and bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
Serving Size: 8 squares