(Soy free) Vegetarian Buffalo Chicken Salad
- Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 249.6
- Total Fat: 12.6 g
- Cholesterol: 15.0 mg
- Sodium: 1,201.6 mg
- Total Carbs: 25.7 g
- Dietary Fiber: 8.9 g
- Protein: 13.6 g
IntroductionWay back before I was a vegetarian, I use to love fried buffalo wings and buffalo salads with loads of blue cheese. SO unhealthy!!! Now I use this recipe at least 4 times a week and it's delicious, satisfying and really helps me get my veggies in for the day. At 250 calories and 13 grams of protein for a giant salad, you can't go wrong. Way back before I was a vegetarian, I use to love fried buffalo wings and buffalo salads with loads of blue cheese. SO unhealthy!!! Now I use this recipe at least 4 times a week and it's delicious, satisfying and really helps me get my veggies in for the day. At 250 calories and 13 grams of protein for a giant salad, you can't go wrong.
- 1/2 tsp Olive oil
- 1/4 Onion, cut into long strips
- 1/3 Red bell pepper, cut into long strips
- 1 C Quorn chicken tenders, this can be found in your health food store frozen aisle. I get mine at Whole Foods.*
- 1 C Romaine lettuce, shredded
- 1 C Red leaf lettuce, shredded
- 1 C Baby spinach
- 2 Medium carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1-2 Tbsp (depending on your desired heat level) Texas Pete buffalo style chicken wing sauce, or any other wing sauce you like
- 2 Tbsp Marzetti light blue cheese dressing, or any other light blue cheese dressing
* Quorn is a soy free plant/fungi derived protein. For more information on the brand here is a website link: http://www.quorn.us/Products/
You can definitely substitute Quorn chicken for Morningstar or Boca but this salad will not longer be soy free and the nutritional stats will be a bit higher.
2. Slice onion and bell pepper into fajita style strips and add them together in the skillet
3. Add the chicken to the skillet and let everything cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally so the chicken can be cooked thoroughly.
4. Meanwhile, while skillet is on, grab a large bowl and put your lettuce, spinach and carrots into it.
5. Turn off skillets heat and add your buffalo wing sauce to the "chicken", onion, and bell peppers. Stir the sauce around so each piece is coated well. Let it sit on burner for a couple minutes marinating.
6. Add skillet contents into your salad bowl, then add your blue cheese dressing. Mix the salad really well so every bit is covered in delicious blue cheese flavor. If you don't feel like there is enough dressing to coat your salad, add 1/2Tbsp of balsamic vinaigrette to the bowl. This will help spread the dressing further as well as give your salad more flavor. ENJOY! :)
Serving Size: Makes 1 filling salad