John Wayne Casserole
- Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 510.3
- Total Fat: 35.1 g
- Cholesterol: 82.0 mg
- Sodium: 616.1 mg
- Total Carbs: 28.4 g
- Dietary Fiber: 1.3 g
- Protein: 20.9 g
IntroductionI am not sure why this dish was named after the Duke, but it is a delicious recipe. Maybe it was inspired by him. I am not sure why this dish was named after the Duke, but it is a delicious recipe. Maybe it was inspired by him.
2 lbs lean ground beef, cooked and drained
1 (1.25oz) packet reduced sodium taco seasoning
4 oz light sour cream
4 oz light mayonnaise
8 oz cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
1 large yellow onion, sliced
2 cups biscuit mix (Bisquick or Jiffy Mix)
2 Tomatoes, sliced
2 green bell peppers, sliced
1 (4 oz) can sliced Jalapeno Peppers
This is a very versatile recipe, you can easily substitute ground chicken or turkey for the beef. Another thing you could do is cut the amount of cheese in half and just layer it on the top. If you do make these changes, the nutritional information will change.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, 4 ounces cheddar cheese & half of the sliced onions.
3. Stir biscuit mix and water (follow directions on the box) to form soft dough. Pat dough on the bottom & 1/2 inch up the sides of a 9x13 greased casserole dish.
4. Saute bell peppers and remaining onions until slightly tender.
5. On top of biscuit mix, evenly layer ingredients in this order: ground beef, tomato slices, green pepper/onion mix, jalapeno peppers, sour cream mixture & finally the remaining cheddar cheese.
6. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the edges of the dough is lightly browned.
Serving Size: Makes 8 servings
Number of Servings: 8
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user WIGIME.