Chicken and Veggie Cous Cous Salad
- Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 260.0
- Total Fat: 6.6 g
- Cholesterol: 51.2 mg
- Sodium: 292.3 mg
- Total Carbs: 23.1 g
- Dietary Fiber: 3.6 g
- Protein: 24.9 g
IntroductionThis light fluffy Salad is great served warm or cold, as a main meal or as a side dish at a picnic or party. Full of flavor and crunch, and chock full of protein with 4 grams of fiber! This light fluffy Salad is great served warm or cold, as a main meal or as a side dish at a picnic or party. Full of flavor and crunch, and chock full of protein with 4 grams of fiber!
1. 1 box uncooked Couscous
2. 1 cup Carrots sliced into wheels
3. 4 cloves (approx. 2 Tbsp.), Diced Garlic
4. ½ Cup Red Bell Pepper diced (you can opt to use more if you like)
5. 1 Pkg. Fresh Spinach, rough chopped (Can sub. Frozen spinach, be sure to drain well)
6. ½ large Red Onion- Can sub any type of onion you prefer
7. 1 lb. Baby Portabella Mushrooms, quartered
8. 1 tsp. Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herb Seasoning Blend
9. 1 tsp. Garlic powder
10. 1 tsp. Pepper, black (or more to taste)
11. 1 tsp. Onion Powder
12. ¼ tsp. Coarse Kosher Salt (or more to taste)
13. 2 tsp. Olive Oil
14. 2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast diced into approx. 1 in. cubes
15. 2 cups Home-prepared Chicken Stock (can sub low-sodium, store bought or even water)
16. 3 Tbsp. Fresh Sliced Almonds, Toasted
1.) Make sure to chop and dice all your veggies in advance. Once you start cooking things go fast!
2.) Make sure you are not doing anything else while toasting your almonds- they burn on the drop of a dime!
3.) Feel free to add more veggies into the mix to "bulk up" how much you can eat- or add a side salad to the side for even more veggies.
2. Rinse Chicken Breasts with cold water and then pat them completely dry with paper towel. Leaving moisture on your chicken breast will cause it to steam rather than bake and cause it to dry out more quickly. Lightly spray each chicken breast with pam olive oil spray to lightly coat them- Chicken is very lean and tends to dry out if you skip this step. You can also sub grape seed oil for this or any oil really- but you do not need more than a glisten, so I like the Pam because it doesn’t “coat” the thing in fat, it just seals in the skin and juices. Sprinkle chicken with Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb Seasoning blend on both sides and place breasts on metal or glass baking pan (be sure to spray your pan lightly as well so breasts don’t stick- or use parchment paper or aluminum foil if you wish to skip oil). Bake Chicken for 20-30 minutes (for 2 breasts) until internal temp reaches 160 degrees and juices run clear. Set aside to cool.
3. Once cooled enough to dice, dice your chicken and place in a large bowl. You will use this bowl to mix all your ingredients together (and to serve your dish) so make sure it is large.
4. In a large dry skillet, toast your almonds over medium-low heat until oils release and you start to smell a nice nutty scent- you will also see the edges start to brown. Set aside.
5. Place chicken stock on medium heat so it slowly comes to a boil.
6. While stock is heating, use 1 tsp. olive oil in skillet and sauté your onions and garlic until slightly translucent. At this point, as you begin to add each ingredient to the pan, you will want to use your S&P to season as each new veggie is added to the skillet.
7. Once onions are translucent add your red bell peppers, and cook for 1-2 minutes only. You just want to slightly break the peppers down, but not make them soft or mushy.
8. Add in your fresh chopped spinach and cook just until spinach is wilted through. When done, add all ingredients to the large serving bowl.
9. While you were sautéing your vegetables, your stock should have come to a boil. When it does, drop your carrot wheels into the broth for 2-3 minutes to blanch them. Once blanched remove them from broth with slotted spoon (make sure to save broth) and add carrots to your large bowl as well.
10. Add your Couscous to the boiling broth, stir, and remove from heat and cover. Let stand 5 minutes.
11. While Couscous is cooking use final tsp. of oil in skillet to sauté mushrooms. Season with S&P. Mushrooms are done when they give off their water and turn a nice golden brown. About 2-3 minutes. Add to bowl.
12. Take cooked Couscous and finally add it to your bowl of vegetables. Add in your Garlic Powder, yours Onion Powder and you can use your remaining Mrs. Dash to season the dish, as well as more S&P to taste. Toss all ingredients together.
13. If your Couscous seems to be sticking you can add a little EVOO, or Grape seed oil to your salad to help loosen things up- but go easy on it! It adds calories and fat!
14. Top salad with toasted almonds to finish and serve!
Serving Size: Makes 6 2 - cup servings
Number of Servings: 6
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user JMCCRANIE99.