- Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 150.8
- Total Fat: 0.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
- Sodium: 29.3 mg
- Total Carbs: 31.1 g
- Dietary Fiber: 5.1 g
- Protein: 5.8 g
IntroductionThis is filling. If you like butter chicken, you will like this because it uses the same curry spice. This is filling. If you like butter chicken, you will like this because it uses the same curry spice.
3.5 cups water
3/4 cup brown basmati rice, dry
3/4 lentils (red or any other color), dry
1.5 cups sweet peas (frozen)
1 medium onion
4 tsp butter chicken curry spice (OPTIONAL)
1/2 tsp garlic, minced or powdered
1/4 tsp celery seed
another 3 cups water
2 medium potatos, cubed (roughtly 1")
4 cups baby spinach, packed
NOTE You will need 2 pots and a bowl.
NOTE If storing Kichadi after cooking, ensure you cool it quickly. Rice always needs to be cooled quickly when storing.
NOTE Once potatoes are cubed, you can microwave them until half baked (about 5 minutes on high) to quicken the boiling process.
1. Stir together 3.5 cups water, rice, lentils, butter chicken curry spice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 45 minutes.
2. Pour into bowl 1 and let rest, it will thicken as the potatos boil. (Do not drain).
1. Saute the onions, garlic, celery seed in about 3TBSP water for about 5 minutes (adding water as needed to prevent sticking).
2. Add 3 cups water to the onions and bring to a boil. Add the potatoes, peas, garlic, and celery seed. Return to boil, reduce heat to med-low and cook covered until potatoes are soft.
3. Add the baby spinach. Stir until mixture thickens.
Combine Bowl 1 and Pot 2
1. Pour the bowl of rice/lentils into Pot 2 over the potato mixture.
Serve immediately as is.
Serving Size: 8 or more servings
Rate This Recipe
Recipe CollectionsHere are user created Recipe Collection which have this recipe:
- by: APPRIL Whole Foods Fruits, Vegetables, Legumes, Grains Eat plants, not too much.