Lemon Blueberry Protein Bars
- Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 119.6
- Total Fat: 2.4 g
- Cholesterol: 35.2 mg
- Sodium: 328.3 mg
- Total Carbs: 8.1 g
- Dietary Fiber: 1.2 g
- Protein: 10.7 g
IntroductionAdapted from a recipe I found in Oxygen Magazine to use ingredients I had on hand and incorporate proper mixing methods. Here is one recipe that Stevia doesn't leave a bitter aftertaste. This is a really nice addition to my arsenal of protein bar recipes! Adapted from a recipe I found in Oxygen Magazine to use ingredients I had on hand and incorporate proper mixing methods. Here is one recipe that Stevia doesn't leave a bitter aftertaste. This is a really nice addition to my arsenal of protein bar recipes!
1 C oat flour
5 Scoops vanilla UMP protein powder
1 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 C unsweetened applesauce
1/2 C nonfat plain Greek yogurt
1/2 C nonfat milk
2 eggs, beaten
Juice of 2-3 lemons, depending on how tart you like your bars
1/4 C Stevia
About 2 t lemon zest, or to taste
1 t vanilla extract
1 C frozen blueberries
- I prefer UMP protein for the flavor and quality, but you can substitute any casein-based protein powder. While you can use whey, it doesn't tend to bake up nearly as well as casein.
-You can replace your eggs with 4 egg whites, but the bars will be spongier. 2 whole eggs only adds about 1g of fat per bar, which is well worth it to me for the superior texture.
- Zest your lemon before juicing. Much easier!
2. Combine the oat flour, protein powder, soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, stir together thoroughly the applesauce, yogurt, milk, eggs, lemon juice, Stevia, lemon zest, and vanilla.
4. Add the flour mixture to the wet and mix mixture and stir until just combined.
5. Spread in the prepared pan and sprinkle blueberries evenly over the top of the batter.
6. Place in preheated oven. Bake 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. When cool, cut into 12 bars of 24 squares.
Serving Size: 1 bars or 2 squares.