White Bean Cassoulet
- Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 207.7
- Total Fat: 5.0 g
- Cholesterol: 0.7 mg
- Sodium: 79.9 mg
- Total Carbs: 34.1 g
- Dietary Fiber: 9.9 g
- Protein: 8.1 g
IntroductionTraditional Method -- stove top to oven
No meat... just happy vegetables Traditional Method -- stove top to oven
No meat... just happy vegetables
2 cans Navy Beans
1 Spanish Onion or 1 large Shallot
4 stalks of celery
2 cups of mushrooms (cremini, oyster, shitake -- one type or a mix)
2 cups carrots --chopped and peeled
2 cups parsnips -- chopped and peeled
1 medium white potato -- cubed
3 small red potatoes -- cubed
3 sprigs of thyme* optional
2 sprigs of rosemary* optional
1/2 cup white wine
Adding thyme, rosemary or white wine to the recipe will enhance the flavours of the vegetables.
Vegetable Stock or Chicken Stock may be used in the recipe.
The cassoulet may cook up to 4 hours -- the longer it cooks, the more flavourful it becomes. Just be sure to check that there is sufficient liquid.
2. Add mushrooms and saute for additional 5 minutes
3. Add celery and saute for additional 5 minutes
4. Add all other vegetables -- carrots, parsnips, potatoes-- and then stir together and cook until heated through -- 5 minutes
5. Add navy beans, stir in and then add either chicken or vegetable stock and then place oven proof saute pan in the oven at 350 degrees F for approximately 2 hours.
6. Check at the 1 hour point to ensure sufficient liquid.
7. After 2 hours all vegetable should be fork tender.
8. Serve as a main course with bread, if desired
Serving Size: Makes 10 servings
Number of Servings: 10
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user COCOZEN.