Delicious Udon Soup
IntroductionTry my delicious Udon soup! Try my delicious Udon soup!
Hon Dashi, Ajinomoto, 1.5 tsp
White Miso, Nagano, 2 tbsp
Rice Vinegar, 2 tbsp
Water, tap, 5 cup (8 fl oz)
Soy Sauce, Kikkoman Lite, ~5 tbsp
Udon Noodles, Myojo, 2 serving
Onion, Green, 0.50 cup chopped
Carrots, raw, 0.25 cup, strips or matchsticks
Sesame Oil, 1 1tsp, split between both bowls
Yes, there is a lot of sodium, but that's Japanese cuisine for you. You can also add a tbsp of Mirin if you have some on hand for a more authentic flavour. Any brands in this recipe are listed after the type of food, eg. Udon Noodles, Myojo, 2 serving.
2. While you wait for your broth/water to boil, cut up your green onions and carrots. Place your miso paste into one of your bowls.
3. Once your broth is boiling, drop in the carrots and let them boil for about 3 minutes, then turn down the heat on your broth. Lift the pot and blow the broth to cool and cease boiling. Put your Udon Noodles into your separate large pot with the boiling water.
4. Pour enough broth (make sure it's no longer boiling!) into your bowl with the miso paste. You don't want to pour boiling broth in with your paste, as this will make the miso gritty.
5. After you've poured a portion of your broth into your miso, add the green onions into the remaining broth still in the pot and cover to preserve heat. Do not allow this broth to boil or come to a simmer, but keep as hot as possible.
6. Whisk your broth and your miso in the bowl, then add back into the main pot with the onions and stir in.
7. Drain and rinse your Udon noodles in cold water to remove the excess starch. I just dump my pot of boiling water into a strainer and run under cold tap water.
8. Serve the noodles into two bowls.
9. Ladle out equal portions of broth and veggies into each bowl, over the noodles.
10. Dash a small amount of sesame oil into each bowl, a very small amount for flavour! Stir in and watch as the oil beads into beautiful gems in the broth.
11. Enjoy your delicious Udon!
Serving Size: makes 2 bowls
Number of Servings: 2
Recipe submitted by SparkPeople user PHOTOGASM.