HCG Grissini Breadsticks (Phase 2 & 3)
- Servings Per Recipe: 48
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 21.8
- Total Fat: 0.6 g
- Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
- Sodium: 48.5 mg
- Total Carbs: 3.6 g
- Dietary Fiber: 0.2 g
- Protein: 0.6 g
View the original recipe for HCG Grissini (breadsticks)
IntroductionGrissini is part of the starch requirement and my craving fix for the HCG diet. :p 1 Grissino per meal at a maximum of 2 a day. Sadly, no munching on 2 at a time as they need to be spaced out through the day. Making your own sure beats wondering if there's hidden ingredients or preservatives in it plus you can be as exotic as you like. Get creative with flavour!! It might seem like a lot of work but you really will be rewarded, twice a day in fact! :)
Recipe originally by MICAD09. I've just altered and added some wisdom from a collection of wise ladies. Thank u girls !! :) Grissini is part of the starch requirement and my craving fix for the HCG diet. :p 1 Grissino per meal at a maximum of 2 a day. Sadly, no munching on 2 at a time as they need to be spaced out through the day. Making your own sure beats wondering if there's hidden ingredients or preservatives in it plus you can be as exotic as you like. Get creative with flavour!! It might seem like a lot of work but you really will be rewarded, twice a day in fact! :)
Recipe originally by MICAD09. I've just altered and added some wisdom from a collection of wise ladies. Thank u girls !! :)
1/2 cup Warm Water
1 package Active Dry Yeast (Approx 2.5 tsp)
1 teaspoon Sugar (Cannot use Stevia as yeast will not activate)
1 1/4 cups Plain Flour, (set 1/2 cup aside for yeast)
1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour (fresh ground if possible)
2 tablespoons Olive Oil (238 cals - use sparingly when greasing trays etc)
1 teaspoon Sea Salt
Herbs & Spices for flavouring if desired
Divide the batch into half or more to have multiple flavours. Try different flavour variations. For example: mist a little water or apple cider vinegar and sprinkle with your choice of herbs, spices, sea salt or cayenne pepper. Try Sea salt & Apple cider vinegar, Season-All, Onion powder, Sage & Garlic , Oregano & Garlic, Rosemary, Carroway, Lemon/Lemongrass & Lime with Cayenne Pepper and Sweet Chilli with Sea salt. The options are endless. Flavours can be added early and kneaded into the dough or add last and sprinkled or pressed on top.
* Metric conversions were rounded to make it easier. Do you really want to measure 48 x 0.8cm strips...lol.
** Can sub the plain white (all purpose) flour for whole wheat but will be much heavier and won't have the smooth texture. It will be more "tummy friendly". Some have suggested almond flour and gluten free flour as alternatives but with outcomes unknown as yet.
*** Vegetarian & Vegan friendly.
Servings: Makes 4 dozen breadsticks
HCG Diet: Allows 2 per day - Enough for a 23 day phase 2 course. Need a second batch for a 40 day phase 2 course
1. In a large bowl, combine the water with the yeast, sugar and 1/2 cup of the plain flour. Set aside for 10 minutes, until bubbly.
2. Stir in the remaining plain flour, whole wheat flour, olive oil and salt and knead until smooth and elastic for about 5 minutes. Alternatively, combine ingredients in a bread machine to knead. Set machine to 1 pound or 450 gram loaf size.
3. Wash out the (yeast) bowl and coat it with a thin layer of olive oil (remember it's loaded with calories). Place the dough in the bowl, cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm place for 1 hour. Alternatively turn oven on for about 2 minutes, then turn it off. Put the dough in a heat proof bowl (if not already) to rise and cover the bowl with a small towel.
4. Remove the dough from the bowl and divide it into four pieces on a floured surface. Roll out each piece into a rectangle, 4 by 12 inches (10x30cm). Cut the dough lengthwise into 1/3 inch-wide (approx 1cm) strips. Place the strips about 1/2 inch (approx 1.5cm) apart on a greased baking sheet or a baking sheet lined with parchment/baking paper. Repeat with the remaining dough. Allow the grissini to rise until puffed, about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the oven to 400F or 200C degrees.
5.Bake the grissini, in batches, on the top shelf of the oven until lightly browned, about 10 minutes, rotating halfway through. Cool on a rack and continue until all the grissini are baked. Cool, then store in a sealed bag or long container, being careful not to break them.
Rate This Recipe
Recipe CollectionsHere are user created Recipe Collection which have this recipe:
- by: SLEEPYMOMA This is a collection of my favourite Vegetarian recipes suitable for the Hcg diet. Ther are eggs & dairy...