Stuffed Cabbage Rolls (Low-Carb, Low-Fat & Low-Sodium)
- Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 175.4
- Total Fat: 8.1 g
- Cholesterol: 40.0 mg
- Sodium: 113.6 mg
- Total Carbs: 9.4 g
- Dietary Fiber: 3.1 g
- Protein: 13.6 g
IntroductionMake small cabbage rolls by cutting the larger cabbage leaves in half, removing the spine in the center. May be frozen for later use. Make small cabbage rolls by cutting the larger cabbage leaves in half, removing the spine in the center. May be frozen for later use.
1 large head of cabbage
1 pkg Herb Ox Sodium Free Beef Bouillon dissolved
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1 cup cauliflower, riced
1/2 lb. lean ground beef
1/2 lb. lean ground pork
1/2 lb. lean ground turkey
1/2 c Low Salt Romano Cheese-grated
1/2 tsp Hot Shots-Red & Black Pepper Blend
1 pkg Pomi Strained Tomatoes (750ml)
1/2 cup finely chopped Italian parsley
1/2 cup finely chopped basil
3 springs fresh rosemary
1/2 cup nice Italian red wine
Makes approx. 36 cabbage rolls (12 servings). These are even better the next day or they can be frozen and enjoyed at a later date.
If you run out of cabbage leaves and still have the meat mixture left, use if for meatballs or meatloaf.
(To 'rice' the raw cauliflower, chop it coarsely and fill your blender about 1/2 with the cauliflower. Fill it up with water and pulse it until the cauliflower resembles rice. Dump it into a fine-mesh strainer.)
2. Place cabbage in a large pot of rapidly boiling water with the cored end down. Cover and cook 5-8 minutes until soft enough to pull off whole leaves. Repeat until most of the leaves are removed. (Save rest of the cabbage for the soup pot)
3. Shave some of the tough part from the thick vein on the middle of each cabbage leaf so that the leaf will roll easily. Larger leaves maybe cut in half, removing the spine completely.
4. Saute onion & garlic in beef bouillon & water until transparent.
5. If not using leftover cauliflower rice, take chopped raw cauliflower in batches and pulse in a food processor until the size of rice grains. Saute with the onions for 5-10 minutes until softened.
6. In a large bowl, mix meat, onion, garlic, cauliflower rice, egg, half of the parsley and basil, romano cheese and pepper. (You may want to cook a small amount of this mixture in the microwave to see if it is seasoned to your taste.)
7. Use the wine to deglaze the sauté pan and simmer until reduced by half, scraping up the loose, tasty bits (much of the sugar alcohol evaporates) .
8. Place a small handful of the meatball mixture at the bottom of the leaf and tuck in the sides while rolling to the top of the leaf.
10. Take a baking pan and pour the wine sauce from the saute pan in the bottom. Arrange the cabbage rolls in a single layer, seam side down.
11. Sprinkle the leftover herbs and rosemary sprigs over the top of the cabbage rolls, and top with the remaining Pomi Strained Tomatoes.
12. Bake for approximately 60 minutes at 350 degrees.